Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Best of the 365 Blog - August 2017

As usual, August was largely taken up by back-to-school activities. I got some use out of some new equipment in addition to relying on my phone for a lot of the daily pictures.

Nikon D810, 8mm, 1/60, ISO 200, cropped

I took the Rokinon 8mm lens out to the ballpark and got some interesting shots with it. Here the natural curves of the architecture play well with the bending of the lens.

Nikon D810, 170mm (28-200), 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 200

I spent weeks fussing over finding the best ways to photograph the eclipse on August 21. I carefully planned shots of the totality in order to avoid destroying my equipment or my eyes. And I was really hoping for some shots of the crescent shadows cast between the leaves of nearby trees. Then the clouds rolled in and pretty much ruined everything.

Nikon D810, 200mm (28-200), 1/500, f/11, ISO 200, cropped and adjusted

As usual, the first week of class found my photo class out in the college’s flower garden. Most of everyone’s photos were the usual stuff, but I did manage to capture some apples on a nearby tree. This shot has been saturated to make the fruit look nice and red rather than the pale color it actually was.

Nikon D810, 38mm (35-80), 5 sec., f./22, ISO 200, cropped

After years of patiently adding fruit and vegetable stickers to the collection, we finally managed to cover an entire cabinet door.

iPhone 7, 1/170

Waiting around outside a restaurant in Westport, I happened to notice these colorful pepper plants.

iPhone 7, 1/2200

 This basketball hoop has provided me with a bit of a story. It’s in good repair here, but later in the semester I found it blown over, dented, and temporarily removed.

iPhone 7, 1/800

For two weeks in a row I happened to be picking up groceries at the same time as the crew from the local fire station was picking up theirs. The first week I photographed the front of the truck, and the second time around I captured this fun bit of lens flare.

Nikon D7000, 80mm (35-80), 3 sec, f/22, ISO 100

This is one of the first shots I took with a tabletop studio setup I got during Prime Day madness. I hope to use it to start documenting some of the small objects in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment