Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Miksang Day Two

Nikon D7000, 55mm (18-55), 1/500, f/11, ISO 500

Day two once again found us in pursuit of color. Today I focused much harder on the Miksang approach, worrying less about getting technically good photos and seeking flashes of visual inspiration.


Nikon D7000, 55mm (18-55), 1/320, f/9, ISO 400

And that proved to be a challenge. Take this photo for example. It was the product of a fairly strong flash of insight in keeping with the Miksang process. Looking at it reminds me of the moment. Trouble is, it isn’t an especially good picture.

Nikon D7000, 55mm (18-55), 1/20, f/5.6, ISO 400

On the other hand, another flash produced this shot of a leaf in a fountain. It’s a product of the practice and a visually appealing shot. But note the motion blur produced by the slow shutter speed. I love the blur, but obviously I didn’t see it with my eye when I looked at the subject. So technically it’s outside the scope of what we should have been capturing.

iPhone

Still, some Miksang moments were there for the taking. My lunch provided this one.

Nikon D7000, 55mm (18-55), 1/400, f/11, ISO 640, cropped

And this one was originally a larger shot that included all the girl and all the stone rabbit she was sitting on. But edited down to the core of the perception, it became a more Miksang photo.

Nikon D3000, 50mm fixed, 1/30, f/1.8, ISO 1600

That evening I stood on the deck and watched the clouds gathering to the east of the Rockies. I liked the thought that the storm developing as I watched might eventually sweep across the plains and find its way to KC.

No comments:

Post a Comment