Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Water towers


Almost literally as the last seconds of the spring semester waned away, I finished a photo project I’d been pursuing off and on since January. I’ve been scanning in all the negatives from back in the day when I (and everyone else, for that matter) used to shoot on film rather with digital equipment. Turned out the notebook full of contact sheets and negs contained more than 1400 photos!

So now and again in this blog I’ll post some of this “old school” work. You’ll be able to spot them swiftly because the photos won’t be captioned (as the film gives me no data about settings or lenses or even what camera I was using).

This week’s entry features the famous hot and cold water towers from Pratt, Kansas, which fooled me for some time when I was a kid. One thing I’ve noticed about the neg scans is that many of them are coated with dust specks and scratches that aren’t visible just looking at the strips but show up dramatically when they’re scanned. Fortunately, Photoshop’s spot healing brush makes short work of most such blemishes (compare the uncorrected shot below).


No comments:

Post a Comment