Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Huron Building


Alas for the poor Huron Building. For decades it was an integral part of the modest Kansas City Kansas downtown skyline. It was the sort of building that might have housed the offices of tough-as-nails private detectives from old noir movies (though I suspect the reality was less romantic).

The building was torn down in 1998. I managed to get a few shots before the walls came down. When I was there, the windows were already gone. That made the building’s proud “completely air conditioned” proclamation poignant, as at one time the claim would have made it seem more desirable office space but at death it merely evoked the wind blowing through the empty spaces.

For what it’s worth, these photos were among the first I ever shot and developed on my own. Though I’d been taking pictures for years, I’d always sent them out for processing rather than venturing into a darkroom myself.

Photography lesson: note the differences in the sky between the two photos. Consider what a visible, detailed sky does for the foreground building.


No comments:

Post a Comment