Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013’s unblogged favorites

Nikon D3000, 10.5mm, 1/40, f/2.8, ISO 1600

This past year was a big one for photographs. The Miksang class in June was the highlight, but several other photo safaris contributed a considerable count to the image database (now well above 20,000 pictures).

In prep for the Fourth of July, Amy and I decided to go shopping for fireworks at Red X. We do that every year, but this time we took advantage of the open-24-hours schedule and made our purchases after midnight. The place was empty, which made for a fun experience and some good photos.

Nikon D3000, 10.5mm, 0.8 sec., f/8, ISO 200

The “Exile Tattoo in the Rain” post was the most popular of the year, getting more visits than any other two combined. So it’s funny that one of the best photos of the evening wasn’t included in set. Error rectified.

Nikon D7000, 28mm (28-200), 1/60, f/4, ISO 450, adjusted

The year got underway with a pair of posts about pictures from the Kansas Capitol. Because the legislature wasn’t in session, we were able to roam around the House and the Senate chambers. Though I did some fun work with the 10.5mm lens, this picture of the Senate floor taken from the spectators’ seats is my favorite. I’m fond of the light and of the copper columns that in days of yore housed stoves to heat the room.

Add Nikon D7000, 42mm (28-200), 1/15, f/25, ISO 500

The whole month of July was devoted to photos from my week in Boulder at the Miksang Institute. Despite the thorough coverage, I left out one of my favorite shots. This shot of the rushing waters of Boulder Canyon Creek has just enough blur to convey motion without turning into another example of the ever-popular smooth-and-misty slow exposures of streams. Though it lacks just about everything I teach students about composition (focal point, anyone?), I liked it enough to make it the wallpaper on my iPad.

Nikon D7000, 200mm (28-200), 1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 320

Speaking of shot composition: I didn’t pay much attention to this photo from the Liberty Memorial set until I started work on a composition lesson for the web site. But once I took a closer look at it, I found I really liked it.

Nikon D7000, 86mm (28-200), 1/1250, f/9, ISO 250

Under most circumstances I’m leery of photos of other people’s artwork. But this one did some fun things with texture. And it really is a nice statue. It’s from the Omaha Zoo, in case you were curious.

Nikon D7000, 105mm (28-200), 1/1000, f/8, ISO 250

Here’s one from closer to home. Every semester (weather permitting), I drag my photo students off to the college’s flower garden to practice. And I practice right along with them (good example and all that). I was still feeling a little contemplative, as you can see from this shot.

Nikon D7000, 18mm (18-55), 0.5 sec., f/4.5, ISO 100

We’ll wrap up the year with one more from the Exile set. I didn’t blog this one because of its close resemblance to the zoom trick photo (and because this one has a slight focus problem). But it’s such a nice image of Amy in a comfortable spot.

That, then, was the year that was. The Photographer’s Sketchbook web site saw its first actual classroom use, and I’ve made a few improvements in it since the end of the semester. The blog made it to 52 posts; keeping up the every-Wednesday pace was a challenge, but it was also a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment