Wednesday, April 3, 2013

SAC Museum

Nikon D7000, 18mm (18-55), 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 200

Actually, this is the Strategic Air and Space Museum. But I’m used to this branch of the Air Force being called Strategic Air Command, so it feels better to me as SAC.

These shots of the SR-71 Blackbird in the main entry hall show off different lenses and different framing options. The first shot (above) is a fairly standard composition with one of my everyday use lenses. It’s at the lower end of its focal length range (18mm), so I’m getting a little distortion. But because the airplane itself is made of long, curving angles, the distortion doesn’t mess up the shot.

Nikon D3000, 10.5mm, 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100

Now I’ve switched to my other camera, where I’ve got my 10mm lens mounted. On the minus side, this isn’t as dramatic a shot of the Blackbird. On the plus side, the wider angle provides a better sense of the space in the hall. I also like the frozen motion on the kid in the right-hand side of the shot.

Nikon D3000, 10.5mm, 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100

Then by tilting up a bit I get this result. The top of this picture is actually the ceiling behind me, making for some strange perspective. I like the geometry of this image, the solid, iron-shaped roof floating in a web of thin lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment